Nothing says the holidays more than Christmas Sugar Cookies!
I found lots of recipes for Gluten Free Vegan Sugar Cookies, but liked the one from Babycakes best! This recipe is post by Linda on Key Ingredients website.
- 2¼ cups rice flour, plus more for dusting
- 1⅓ cup vegan sugar
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbs vanilla extract
- 2 tsps lemon extract
- ⅓ cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice flour, sugar, arrowroot, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.
- Add the coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla and lemon extracts and stir with a rubber spatula until a very thick dough is formed. Gradually add the cold water and stir until the dough is slightly tacky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Dust a clean work surface with some rice flour. Remove half of the dough from the refrigerator, and place it in the carter, and roll the dough around until the surface is entirely coated in flour. Dust a rolling pin with rice flour. Roll out the dough to 1/4” thickness.
- Cut out the cookies with your desired cutter and transfer to the prepared baking sheet with a spatula, placing them about 1” apart.
- Repeat with the remaining dough. Bake for 7 minutes, rotate the sheets, and bake 5 minutes more or until slightly golden. Let stand on the baking sheets for 10 minutes.
- Frost with a sugar glaze. Combine powdered sugar, 1/3 cup hot water and 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
Personally, I would top the cookies with colored sugar — the icing would probably be too sweet for me and my husband! And, of course, I love that it has applesauce as one of the ingredients!
Find more Gluten Free Vegan Sugar Cookie recipes here:
- http://www.yummly.com/recipes/gluten-free-vegan-sugar-cookies (lots of recipes here)
Which recipe is your favorite?
Please share this post with your friends!!