Fajitas are one of my favorite Mexican dishes (who am I kidding, MEXICAN style food is ALWAYS my favorite dishes!!) Mexican food is so easy to adjust to Gluten Free Vegan Style …. and I love the Mexican flavors: avocados, tomatoes, chilli peppers (not too strong, please!), black olves and black beans ….. and now that Gluten Free tortillas are available, I am in heaven!!
My husband and I have a Mexican dish at least once a week. This week I fixed Fajitas. Here is my quick and easy recipe:
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in strips
- 1 medium to large bell pepper, cut in strips
- 2 large portabello mushrooms, cut in strips (you can use any sliced mushrooms, but portabellos are the best!)
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut in strips
- 1-2 tsps of salsa seasoning (or your favorite Mexican seasoning)
- Gluten free 'flour' style tortillas
- Toppings: vegenaize, guacamole, fresh cilantro, salsa or picanta sauce
- Melt coconut oil in large skillet or Wok style pan.
- Add onions and peppers and cook until veggies begin to limp.
- Add mushrooms and cook until veggies are soft but not cooked all the way through
- Add seasoning and tomatoes and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- In the meantime, warm the tortilla in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds or fry briefly until pliable.
- Add veggies and toppings.
Of course, there are many variation to this recipe. Other options are:
- Jalapeno or habenero peppers is you like your Fajitas hot
- A mix of red, green and/or yellow bell peppers
- Corn or beans to the veggies
- Top with olives and avocado slices
- Add vegan cheese and/or sour cream
My favorite Gluten Free ‘flour’ tortillas are made by Rudi, but any GF tortilla will work including listed below. (Also, some seasoning suggestion as well):