I have tried lots of Gluten Free Vegan Pancake recipes. Some were interesting and some …. well, let’s just say, I never made them again.
Over the years, I have taken several different recipes and combined them together to make my own recipe. Taking bits and pieces of each recipe to suit it to my tastes and nutritional requirements is actually a fun project!
When I developed this recipe, I started with the Apple Pancake recipe my mother used to make when I was younger. I loved the tastes of apples in pancakes (or any kind of fruit in baked goods!). Then I looked for Gluten Free ingredients and some extra tasty grains and seeds to add to the nutritional value.
Here is my recipe:
- 1 medium apple, cored
- 1 Tablespoon Chia/Salba seeds
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup (or more) water
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free biscuit or pancake mix
- 1/3 cup dry Gluten Free oats
- Coconut oil
- Put nuts and chia seeds in food processor and process until coarsely chopped. Remove and place into medium mixing bowl.
- Add apples to food processor and chop into small pieces
- Mix dry ingredients into nuts, seeds and apples. Add water and let the mixture sit for a few minutes while you warm the pan and melt the coconut oil.
- Pour batter (add more water if the mixture is too thick) into heated pan and cook 5 or so minutes until underside is a light brown.
- Flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Top with Coconut Nectar or Pure Maple Syrup
I would suppose you can substitute other fruit for the apple, but this is the way I like it best!!