I am so excited to share this recipe with you and tell you about a very exciting opportunity.
You may have read my interview with Lindsay Nixon about her new cookbook: Happy Herbivore Abroad. I was very excited to interview Lindsay and was equally excited to receive an early copy of her new cookbook!
What a great cookbook!! Lindsay includes some wonderful recipes and dishes in her book, but also includes a ‘travel log’ of pictures and comments about some of her trips to the different countries she has visited. You get a great travel book in addition to a great recipe book!
Today, I want to feature her Holiday Anise Cookie recipe. Anise cookies, according to Lindsay are originally from Italy.
Make sure to read all they way to the bottom as I have some exciting news for my reader on how you can get your own FREE copy of Lindsay’s new cookbook!
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup white beans (any kind), mashed
- 1/2 tsp anise extract
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp raw sugar or sugar of your choice (optional)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- nondairy milk
- Icing: 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tsp nondairy milk
- anise extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside
- Whisk flour with cornstarch, baking soda, and a pinch of salt until combined
- Add beans, anise extract, maple syrup, applesauce, sugar (if using). Stir to combine — It might look dry at first, but keep combining. If dryness persists, add a splash of nondairy milk (wetter is better).
- Flour your hands and pick off 8 walnut-sized pieces of dough. Roll each into a ball, then flatten into mini ‘hockey puck’ shapes.
- Bake 10-14 minutes, or until golden and firm to the touch (cookies will puff up)
- Meanwhile, prepare icing by combining powdered sugar and nondairy milk to form a thick paste, adding anise extract one drop at a time (a little goes a long way).
- Once cookies are done baking, allow to cool and then ice.
Lindsay and her staff have teamed up with the Gluten Free Vegan Living blog to offer you a chance at winning a free copy of her new cookbook: Happy Herbivore Aboard.
Anyone who submits their favorite Gluten Free Vegan holiday recipe will get your name added to a drawing for the FREE cookbook.
Submit your recipe to me direct at GFDFSandy (at) gmail.com
Your recipe(s) will be featured on this website during the holiday season, but the drawing will take place AFTER the holidays!!