The holidays would not be the same without a Holiday Chocolate Mint Cookie.
I was fortunate to find this recipe on The Sensitive Pantry website/blog. Of course, the cookies are heart shaped and meant to be a Valentines cookies, they also are great for the Christmas holidays!! Make them star shaped (if you are adventurous) or just round as they will tastes just as good!!
- 10 tablespoons Earth Balance, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ener-G egg replacer
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice milk or prepared coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour blend*
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch processed cocoa powder
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the egg replacer and 2 tablespoons warm water.
- Beat shortening, sugar, mixed egg replacer, milk/coffee, and vanilla in a stand mixer until creamy.
- Mix flours, xanthan gum, salt and cocoa in a separate medium sized bowl. Stir together with a wire whisk until they are thoroughly mixed and there are no lumps.
- Put the mixer on low and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Scrape the sides from time to time. Beat for a few minutes until all the ingredients are combined.
- The dough will be very stiff.
- Refrigerate the dough for about an hour. Split the dough in half and make each half into a round disk. Place one between two sheets of parchment and roll out to a thin (about 1/8” or so) sheet. Cut the cookies using a small heart-shaped cookie cutter…if you have one. Any shape will work!
- Place onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet about an inch apart.
- Repeat with the other piece of dough.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes–keeping an eye on them so they don’t over bake. Remove from the oven and let sit for a minute or two. Remove to a wire rack and cool. Makes about 2 dozen small cookies.
Here is the balance of the recipe for the chocolate coating:
Chocolate Peppermint Coating
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint
- 1 ½ teaspoon canola oil
This works best in batches so start with 1/3 the chocolate chips (1/2 cup). Place in a microwave bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and ½ teaspoon canola oil and stir together.
Quickly dip the top of each cookie in the chocolate mixture. Use a small fork to lift up one end, grab the cookie, and swirl as you lift. Place chocolate side up on a parchment lined dish. Fill the dish and pop it in the freezer for a few minutes to set.
Repeat with the remaining chocolate coating and cookies. These store well in the freezer.
If you like this recipe, please share it by clicking one of the links at the bottom of the page!