Who does not like the soft chewy texture of a beautifully flavored Molasses Cookie? How about one that is Gluten Free and Vegan??
Today’s featured holiday cookie recipe come from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen. Ummmm …. I can smell them now!!
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¾ cup organic palm shortening
- 1 cup Sucanat, coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- ½ cup blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- To start, make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature; especially your applesauce.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the sorghum flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, sea salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the palm shortening, sugar, and molasses together with an electric mixer. Add the applesauce, vanilla, and ground flax seeds; beat for another 60 seconds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat together. Continue to beat for another minute or until the ingredients are well-combined and the dough thickens.
- Cover bowl with a plate and chill dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (or place dough in a sealed glass container for longer chilling).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a large cookie sheet.
- Remove bowl from refrigerator and form dough into little balls with the palms of your hands. Place each ball on the greased cookie sheet spaced out by about 2 inches.
- Bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes (shorter for smaller cookies, longer for larger cookies). Watch carefully as the cookies can burn easily. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
There is still time to submit your holiday cookie recipe(s) to add your name to the drawing for Lindsay Nixon’s new cookbook: Happy Herbivore Abroad.