My husband, Malcolm, LOVES pumpkin. His favorite month is September … and I think that is because pumpkins start ripening in September!!
So, because he loves pumpkin so well, he is always looking for pumpkin recipes that he can adjust for my Gluten Free Vegan diet. While visiting some vegan friends early this month, he made this WONDERFUL pan of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars that I just have to share with you.
Sorry, we did not get any pictures, but it looked like dark (from the chocolate chips) pumpkin pie without the crust!
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- Skim thick part from a can of coconut milk (best to refrigerate overnight to solidify)
- 1/3 cup coconut nectar
- Substitute for 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 12 teaspoon sea salt
- Extra coconut oil for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup GOOD chocolate chips (darker the better)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking dish with coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients - except chocolate chips - in a food processor or blender
- Puree or blend until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and add he chocolate chips, sprinkling them around by hand
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean.
- Dessert will have a bit of pumpkin pie texture so will thicken a bit after cooling