I get really frustrated when I go to a restaurant and order a salad — knowing it will be gluten free and vegan — and the waitress comes back with a plate full of lettuce and maybe a carrot or cucumber on the side! That is NOT a salad!! How come no one tells them that Salads are Not Just Lettuce??
I am the Salad Queen — I love salads!! I’ve incorporated dozens of ways to make a salad with LOTS of different ingredients. Check out some of my salad recipes here:
- Best Vegan Chef Salad
- Spring Veggie Salad
- Sweet Kale Salad (using Smart Salad Sweet Kale Salad Kit)
- Gluten Free Pasta Salad
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Sunshine Salad
- Creamy Coconut Waldorf Salad
- Quinoa Tabouli Salad
- Mexican Style ‘Cowboy Caviar’ (a type of salad)
Salads can be made with lots of different ingredients that most people just don’t think of using. Most of my salads are a meal within themselves! Just by adding a few ‘extras’ you can have a satisfying meal too! Check out the following tips to round out your salads:
- Add beans: My favorite is black beans, but you can use chickpeas or any of your favorite beans. I have even added a can of Amy’s Black Bean Chili to my salads for a Mexi-Tex flavor.
- Add grains: My Quinoa Tabouli Salad is a perfect example of a grain salad — but you can also use rice or any whole grain in your salad.
- Add starches: White potatoes come to mind — you can also try sweet potatoes, yellow potatoes, and red potatoes.
- Add fruit: I frequently add raisins to my salads, but craisins, apples, pears, grapes …. or your favorite fruit will work well.
- Add pasta: Gluten free pasta is a good filler for any salad. Just makes sure you have plenty of veggies so the pasta does not overpower the veggies.
Last, but not least, your salad dressing can make a big different in the tastes of your salad. I am pretty plain, myself, as use one basic dressing — but there are a number of good salad dressings and dressing recipes out there to chose from. Here are my two favorites: Gluten Free Vegan Salad Dressings
What ‘secret’ ingredient to you use in your salads?? Share with us!!